Monday, June 20, 2011

That's Right......I am a Sunday School Teacher

About a month and a half ago Josh and I got a phone call asking us to come to the church building because they wanted to talk to us about a calling. We had gotten in a small argument earlier and I said something like "watch we get called to be the Marriage and Family Sunday school teachers." Well would you believe it, we were!! That is right Josh and I teach the Marriage and Family Sunday school class. I know what you are thinking - Dee a Sunday school teacher? I know I know, I thought the same thing too. I thought to myself "I am not cut out for this." I had several reasons going through my head as to why I wasn't up to par to teach this class. Well I live in Utah and I was by no means a Mormon child bride like 95% of the girls here. Hold on to your seats..... I was married at 26! Ancient! What was wrong with me? I always got the question - why aren't you married yet? Gee let me think about it - moron! Who asks questions like that?? Oh right, all of the child brides in the state of Utah. And why else am I not qualified to teach this class? Wait for it, wait for it...I had my first child at 28! Holy crap! Married at 26 and baby at 28?! What the heck is wrong with me!?

Well all of my flaws aside Josh and I take turns each Sunday teaching the lesson. We have had to cover topics like unity in marriage, and working through complications, and teach about abuse and physical intimacy. Just typing it out makes me think "I can't believe we have this calling." I hope we do ok. I hope that people don't listen to us and think "what the heck are they doing in their marriage?" Some times I think that we are teaching this more for us than any one else. There is some great information in that manual.

If you are ever in for a good laugh you should come swing by our class. Oh and yes we have 8:30 am church!

5 comments:

  1. How exciting!! And I almost took you up on that offer to swing by your class until you mentioned that your church starts at 8:30. Oh well! But I'm sure you and Josh are doing a great job!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a horribly wonderful calling. I am sure you guys are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey now, I'm a young Mormon bride now young mommy. No making fun! I don't know if i'd choose the sunbeams or this calling. At least your in it together right? and don't have to deal with booger well maybe you do ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee, you know I just started reading your blog and I love it. Just a reminder, I too, married later, 27 and had Josh at 28. Roger had two sister who married in their late 30's and started their families. Uncle Jack and Grandpa Lee all married later in life too. So you married into a family who had some similar life experiences as you. You are not alone. lol But we are a minority but we are amazing not Morons! :}

      Delete